Labels

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Live: Bathroom Sneak Peak

From day one we knew the full bathroom was something we wanted to gut. I'm talking new bathtub and everything, not just a fresh coat of paint.

When we moved in the shower had doors on it which we immediately removed. It was just a few screws and some silicone. So we filled the holes and moved one.

We did update the shower curtain rod to a crescent rod which gave a little more room in the shower. We replaced the toilet, after the original started running all the time. But that was it, I never even painted.

I knew that with this bathroom being our only one with a shower/bathtub the remodel had to wait until summer when I was out of school. Even at that it has still been a big task.

So the old beige shower and walls left. Amazingly I found a new bathtub that fits in a standard 5 foot alcove that is about 3 inches wider, and 3 inches taller. It is much more like a soaker tub than any other tub I have ever seen in this space. It is even comforable for my 6 foot 2 inch husband. So the new bathtub went in, concrete board went up, and we were ready for tile.
This is just a sneak peak of the tile. We went with a 12x12 inch tile for the bulk of the shower, and I bought a 1x1 inch accent tile to use in a 6 inch stripe around the shower. (Wait until you get to see a close up of the accent tile, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!)

Our experiences with tiling:
Some how my husband managed to use nearly 4 gallons of thinset to put the tile up. Don't ask me I have no idea how. I can only suggest to buy more than the tub tells you, you will need.
It took him 2 days to tile the shower area...
Grout went fairly smoothly, thanks to one tool in particular, it costs about $5:
A grout bag. You simply fill the bag with grout, and pipe the grout into the opening as if you were  piping icing onto a cake. For me this was a much cleaner way to grout. I wasn't droping grout off the grout float. After I piped the grout into the groves, JD came back through with the grout float to really fill the space. We were able to work on opposite sides, and just switch places.

Well the tiling is done, and the grouting is done, but I'm not going to show that until the rest of the bathroom is done.

Still to come, a new coat of paint, a new vanity, a new light fixture, and mirror.

1 comment:

  1. It's looking great! I can't wait to see the finished room.

    ReplyDelete