Labels

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Teach: A New Classroom

When I was hired last year 7 days before school started I was in a bit of a bind on looking for a classroom theme. I was told the whole team had an animal theme, and each class was named after the animal. I had one store to shop at, Office Depot, and 2 choices The Very Hungry Caterpillar or frongs. I went with The Very Hungry Caterpillar bacause I like Eric Carle. Seriously though in 5th grade?! This year I needed something new and fun. I decided to forget the animals and go with the new Dots on Turquoise. I already had a lot of bright colored stuff, baskets, pillows, a couch, etc.

 My classroom Reading Corner. I really wanted to create an environment the kids were excited to use. They are very excited about it, I'm just not sure when they are going to have time to use it. I had the couch from my bedroom in highschool, and the butterfly from my room in middle school. My kids do have to check books out from my personal library. Each book has a card and when they check the book out the card goes in their pocket. The books are not aloud to go home also just to help with kids lossing the books. 

Monday Folders, Friday Folders, all the same. Something else to keep track of. Last year I always had a hard time checking to make sure all the folders were in on Wednesday, so I decided to solve that proble, this year. On Monday when I hand out the folders the students will move their dot to "Out". The when I check their folder Tuesday morning they will move it to "In". This way on Wednesday I can easily see whose folder is still out. I cut out the letters on my Cricut in black vinyl.

I also got rid of the mailboxes I used last year to sort work. More for space saving reasons. Instead I use a Locker Tote that doubles as a file folder box. Each student has a file folder with their name on it and it can easily be filed. I still have a drawer in my drawer cart that their graded work goes into until it can make it into the folder. Then on Monday morning I can have a parent volunteer "stuff" their folders, and it only has to happen once.  

Student Wall
Birthdays: I have every intention of really making a big deal of the students birthdays this year, however it has not started off so good.
Calendar: Last year I did one of the calendars with the pictures, and velcro on the back. Too elementary for 4th and 5th grade. So I got a new calendar and plan on writing important upcoming events. Spirit week, picture day, walk to school day, high attendance day, etc.
 Library Chart: I know you can't really tell yet, but it's the blue chart. Each student has a pocket, and their book card goes there so I can tell what book they have out.
Classroom Jobs: I currently have a Librarian, Computer Tech, Paper Passer, Pencil Sharpener, Planner Personnel, and Playground Materials. However, with the schedule this year I don't even think we will have the time for my kids to even do them. Intentions:
Librarian: used a a reward to sit in the Reading Corner for the week
Computer Tech: in charge of turning on and off the computer, and helping me with the SmartBoard
Paper Passer: filing papers in the Monday Folder box
Pencil Sharpener: I have a sharp and unsharp pencil bucket, and just making sure that there are sharpened pencils
Planner Personnel: Last year I had 2 people who checked to see that planners were signed everyday. However after some discussion with several other teachers, we decided that if the students planner wasn't signed and we were moving their PAW was it really a punishment for the kids, or a punishment because of their parent. We are now doing positive rewards. So on Friday I check to see that their planner was filled out all week and give them a Tiger Card.
Playground Materials: simple, just in charge of bringing the playground bucket to and from recess, however, I don't have my homeroom kids before lunch, so this is out.

The whiteboard of many purposes, Monday Folder dot spot, agenda page, learning target, and I am just waiting for  them to tell me I have to do Lunch Count in the classroom. I already have plans for that too, below the agenda page, a magnet for each student, and spot for Option 1, Option 2, Packed Lunch, and Need to Vote. Again  I will cut this out in vinyl.


Smart Board with a carpet for me to stand on, especially nice with my feet hurt, or even as some added cushion from standing at the board. We have awesome double sided book cases, but its very hard to have a place in the classroom for it to use both sides. I finally decided on keeping the book shelf about 2 feet away from the wall, and I put a "Teachers Only" sign so that I can have some extra storage. I collected the students markers, glue, scissors, etc. into individual bags, and put them in a bucket so when they need them in another class its grab and go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment