Labels

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Live: Flourescent Light Cover Up

We were in our house for several months, and making progress on the updates we wanted to. Our kitchen light fixture is an ugly flourescent light fixture:

I looked for months for options. I thought I wanted track lighting, I knew there wasn't enough room for a fan, and this one really gives off great light. Also to take it down would mean painting the ceiling....

I decided I would try to find a cover it. Maybe something metal, it has been very popular lately. I measured the light fixture, and knew it would take a while for me to find something in the size I needed. I was so wrong, the first night I went out I found exactly what I was looking for.

I found this at Pier 1, for $50. Now it is just wall art, it can be hung horizontal or vertical on a wall. I saw potential to be hung from the ceiling. It is not metal, instead it is wicker, but the light fixture doesn't get hot, so its perfect. There are these small bars that come out by the corner. So I stopped by Lowe's picked up 2 hooks and some wire.

The finished product. It took about 30 minutes to get the wire "tied" right. I ended up making it look like a hanger, from one side to another, to help it stay balanced. It worked great, and it looks so much better too!

No comments:

Post a Comment