Labels

Monday, May 14, 2012

The first steps forward:


It is hard to believe that one year ago today I graduated from WKU with a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education. It was a long time coming, and a different kind of journey.
            After being accepted to WKU as a freshman, I excitedly moved to Bowling Green in Bemis Lawrence Hall. I survived the semester, but I was miserable. I hated being away from home, and I hated being away from J.D. So I moved back home and attended E-town Community Technical College, where I received my Associates Degree. After earning my Associates I was able to again attend WKU, only the E-town Campus. Most of my classes were ITV classes (broadcast from Bowling Green). But in the end, I graduated.
3 days after graduating, I made another BIG move- to the western side of the state to finally be with J.D. After graduating from the State Police Academy in September he was assigned not our home post, and moved. Shortly after moving, we then moved again to a near by city into a trailer, and later into our own house (more to come on that later).

Sometime in the mist of this the Independent Schools posted a job opening and I put in an application there. Days after putting in my application at the board, I got a call for an interview. At this point I am feeling pretty lucky. I knew I was long shot to get an interview, not being from the area, but now I was going to have my second interview. While at the house painting on Friday I got the phone call about the interview… for Monday. Obviously I accepted. The next day, while moving into the house, I again got a phone call, and was offered a 5th grade position at the middle school. Again I accepted and a whirlwind of a week began.
I have now completed my first year of teaching. Somehow it has been a successful year. I learned a lot, and will continue to learn and grow as I look forward to another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment