Labels

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Teach: Idioms

Idioms
I try my best to not reinvent the wheel when I am planning lessons, because after all there are so many resources available on the Internet now. However, for this lesson I had this idea in my head about what I wanted to do.
 
Common Core Standards simply says "recognize and explain common idioms." I also decided that because this was only one standard and it was tied in with proverbs and adages I should not spend a lot of time on it. Due to my short class periods I did spend 4 days.
Day 1: Define an idiom and discuss the difference between the literal and figurative meaning. In groups of 3-4 students begin the matching activity.
Day 2: Continue matching activity. I had 7 different sets of cards, most groups were able to complete 6 or 7 of the sets. (Could combine day 1 and 2 if your class time is longer, or if you are fine with students not viewing all sets. My class period is only about 45 minutes.)
Day 3: Explain and begin working on idiom illustrations. Complete for homework.
Day 4: Students present idiom illustrations to class. (Could skip this day if students wrote a description of their illustrations.)

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Idioms-Literal-and-Figurative

3 comments:

  1. grateful with your article. looking forward for the next update.

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting details! keep sharing articles like this. Kudos!

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, great activity idea. However, it looks like you are using TeachingMadeEasier.com to create you activity. While we encourage the sharing of ideas, please give credit where credit is due. It is fine to use activities you've created in your blogs, please reference your source.

    Per our terms of use, activities created with TeachingMadeEasier.com are for personal and classroom use, not for commercial use.

    Terms of Use: TeachingMadeEasier.com accounts allow each user, whether an individual membership or a member as part of a school or district license unlimited use of TeachingMadeEasier.com for the time period of the paid license. Accounts are defined by a Username and Password, and are licensed for one user per account. Activities created by users are solely for school and personal use. Users are not permitted to use or sell activities created with TeachingMadeEasier.com for commercial use.

    Contact me with any questions: Emily@TeachingMadeEasier.com.

    ReplyDelete