Labels

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Love: Our New Addition

Labor and Delivery: On the way to the hospital we stopped by Walgreens to get a couple of RedBox movies for JD to watch, thinking it would be a long night and day. At 9 p.m. on the 7th we were admitted to the hospital to begin Cervidil at 11 p.m. Hoping the Cervidil would finish thinning my cervix, but it could take up to 12 hours, then start Pitocin to start contractions. By 4:30 a.m. I was having contractions on my own. I don’t remember much from here out. I woke up with cramp like contractions that gradually got worse. At 6 a.m. I was 4 cm dilated, and ready for the epidural, which I got at 7 a.m. Originally I was terrified of getting the epidural, but afterwards I was new person, even holding conversation with my parents. At 8:30 a.m. the nurse checked me again, she told us I was 9 cm so that I could get a power nap before pushing, but she later told us I was really 10 cm. Then at 9 a.m. the doctor came in to break my water and start pushing. By 10:06 my little boy made his way into the world. He spent the first hour on my chest, it was perfect.


Following Delivery: Due to the high blood pressure I put on a magnesium drip for about 16 hours. Because of the magnesium I was completely out of it all day, I hardly even held my baby boy, and couldn’t breastfeed on my own. I literally slept, and JD woke me up to feed Connor.
Thoughts and Feelings: I feel truly blessed to have had such a wonderful pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Even with the blood sugar problem after delivery, I say the overall experience was still good. And the end result of finally having my baby boy makes everything worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment