Labels

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Live: Bathroom Vanity

After weeks of being underconstruction the bathroom is finally complete. It literally did take weeks, partially because everything took longer than we expected, and partially because my husband had to work out of town for a week and a half before it was done. Just days before he left, we still couldn't take showers. I put one stipulation on him leaving, I could take a shower. He did get that done, but the vanity had to wait.
 
Now I had measured the hole for the vanity half a dozen times, and I really thought the opening was 30 inches. I hunted for a vanity for monthes. The problem wasn't finding a vanity, but the countertop. The standard size for countertops is a 31 inch, which was not going to work. Then I finally found the perfect one. Until my husband went to put the vanity in the hole. It didn't fit!!!! My worst night mare. It was off by about a half inch.
 
The end result: We cut the drywall out of one wall to the height of the countertop. To fill in the space we used a piece of cabinet finishing board, about an eighth of an inch thick, painted so that in the hole at the bottom of the vanity you can't tell. The slide the vanity in place. We did have to put a piece of drywall back in the front of the vanity. We also had to add a piece of trim, but it is stained to match the vaniy and looks great!
 
 So the vanity is in place, and backsplash is on the wall. We used the same accent tile from the shower for the backsplash on the vanity. After cutting out the drywall we had to have a backsplash, and this countertop didn't have one.
 
Some really neat features of the vanity are the curved front and the copper sink.
 
The front of the vanity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment